Monday, May 7, 2012

Solutions To Graduate Unemployment: Part 1


This morning, whiles preparing for work, I managed to steal some time and as usual listen to the super morning show on one of Ghana’s best radio station, Joy FM.After Uncle Ebo Whyte’s presentation on the 11 lessons he has learnt from one of the best coaches in the world, Jose Mourinho who has won both the English, Spanish and Italian League titles. I decided to give my undivided attention to a talk on Graduate Unemployment by a Guest on the show. If I got my info right, I was amazed when I heard that about 50,000 graduates are churned out by the tertiary institutions every year, Wow! Can this be the justification for the high graduate unemployment in Ghana? More Graduates, Less Jobs?
For this month of May, I think I should share with you some information I have sitting on my laptop on how to provide solutions to the rapid growing graduate unemployment situation. After all, what is the use of all the knowledge I have been acquiring if not shared? I guess that was the motivating factor for starting this blog:Share my knowledge with the world.
I think I should make this post my first series. Come to think of it, what would be its use if I don’t get a feedback from my readers? That is why I always urge you to drop me your comments. Ok, enough of the talking, less zoom it to serious work

SOLUTIONS TO GRADUATE UNEMPLOYMENT: Recommendation for the Government
  •  First, I believe the government should organize training programs for university instructors, in collaboration with some companies to help teaching staff gain more experience and help improve the teaching content in the class. As more and more students complain of not really finding a link between what they are studying and what is to be done at the job environment.
  • Government should also encourage exchange programs with foreign universities in order to send teaching staff abroad, to improve and update their knowledge and increase quality of staff .( I heard some lectures still use the materials they were using in the 80’s to teach the current crop of students. Is it really true?)
  • Government should enforce the preparation of what could be termed as the Company’s Graduate Employer Job Profile Guide Book annually. This will be useful for both employers and employees. Selecting the Major companies in the country, the guide book has to include the job opportunity, requirements, skills they need, company profiles, how to apply and other important factors in each company. This guide should be distributed to the final year students at least 3 months before their graduation. Student will then have a clear idea about company needs and selection criteria. The preparation of the guide book should be done by an independent entity with good links with the business community. Private companies should also be tasked with the responsibility of preparing annually how many people they are going to recruit and give the requirement to guide the potential applicants.
 Finally, I think Government should analyze the Employment Market to understand the real demand for labor in some sectors of the economy and prepare the analysis of the employment requirement each year in each sector to get the clear idea about real labor demand. According to this analysis students have more chance to understand about their selection areas and future job security before applying to enter the university.
What Next?
Well, these are but some of the few recommendations I gathered from my research. In my next post I provide some recommendation for the graduates themselves. What do you think about these suggestions? Let me hear from you.
Credit Sununta Siengthai study on Employee Needs and Graduate Skills of the Sri Lanka University Graduates

0 comments:

UA-28542367-1