Which age are you in? The Information age or the industrial age? Today, I see so many people celebrating their birthday on every single day that still lives in a very old age. Although we live in the 21st century, most people actually live in the 15th century. Their thoughts, way of doing things is likely to be compared with Thomas Edison who failed a thousand times before inventing the light bulb. Thomas Edison was a genius but today if you follow the principles of Thomas Edison by failing a thousand time before fulfilling your dream; you would probably have to wait for year 2100.We now live in a new age, where things could be done much faster and do not require much sweat. But let me still ask you, which of the ages are you living in?
The information age or the industrial age?
The industrial age was the age of my great great grand parents. It was the ages were people who own the land the buildings are on are considered the wealthiest. In the industrial age, you work hard and exude much sweat before you can put food on the table. It involved using your physical strength were only the strong survive. The industrial age can be coined in one word, the survival of the fittest.
- What about the Information Age?
The Information Age, also commonly known as the Computer Age or Digital Age, is an idea that the current age is characterized by the ability of individuals to transfer information freely, and to have instant access to information that would have been difficult or impossible to find previously. In this age, you can be in small corner of your room and get access to resources that would have taken a year in the industrial age. This age bridges the gap between the poor and the rich, the haves and the have not. However, not everyone lives in this age as it has been made to believe.
In this post, I intend to draw a comparison between the two ages, for you to determine which age you are in and if possible make a change.
Comparison between Industrial and Information age
- In the industrial age, you would probably land your first job at age 25, stay in the same job and undertake a monotonous task until you finally retire at age 60 or at most 65.
- In the information age, you retire early. This entails choosing a job you love or starting you own business, work smart to build an asset from the business, retire and get someone to manage the business for you whilst you spend valuable time with family and friends.
- The industrial age focuses on the number of degrees you have and the parade of certificates in your bed room. A person without good grades in the industrial age is considered unintelligent
- In the information age, grades don’t count. Those with the ability to adapt learn new technology and offer fresh ideas survive. Much emphasis is placed on your skills and talents. It is the skills you have that makes you stand out from the crowd. In the information age, when you have a talent you don’t bury it, you use it. It is that talent or skills that open great door for you and make you a success. Just look at these great men: Bill Gate, Steve Jobs, Mark Zukerberg, do they have something in common? What about late Michael Jackson, Mohammed Ali or lil Wayne? Which of the ages do you think they belong to?
- In the industrial age you have only one job, but in the information age you use the power of leverage to your advantage. You use the same set of skills to do so many things at a time. You become one man with many professions: A blogger, web developer, a personal development expert, motivation speaker and the list goes on and on. All you need is a set of skills and the right packaging.
- In the industrial age you think of Government retirement plan: the Government takes the responsibility of looking after you when your working days are over. They pay your medical expenses and other social security packages.
- In the information age you have a self directed portfolio, you are in charge: You make your own choices and accept the consequences that come with it. You don’t go begging on the door of the Government to pay for your medical expenses or cry aloud to the Government when the economy is not doing well and the prices of goods are rising. You take control of your destiny and teach others to do the same
- Lastly, in the information age, we go to school and stay in school for ever.
- But I love the industrial age, you spend few time in school and go to seminars. The seminars you attend become your new school, you learn from people who have made it in the real world and adopt lessons from their practical experiences that would make you better. In the industrial age, you buy books- business and self improvement books and the lessons contained in them are like honey to your lips.
I love the information age, because I can sit behind my desk in a small room in Kumasi, Ghana.Just with my laptop and an internet connection and voila, I am communicating with the rest of the world. Would you love to join me, drop me your comment?